A case study is a report that looks into and analyses a current business situation to identify both positive and negative aspects of it. The main purpose of the study is to propose 3 specific and distinct action plans that would help the business achieve its set goal, evaluate each action plan (consider the advantages and disadvantages) and finally select the best course of action.
The written Case study has 6 main parts:
1. Background about the business (based on research/paraphrased)
2. SWOT Analysis (based on research)
3. Desired outcome
4. 3 Action Plans
5. 3 Evaluations
–> Parts 3-6 are your own suggestions/understanding, not based on research
It is 1 short paragraph that gives general information about the business:
* Type of business
* Types of operation
–> based on research / in-text referencing / paraphrased
B) SWOT Analysis: looks into the positive and negative aspects of the business
Has 4 sub-sections –
2) Weaknesses –> S & W are internal factors; they are about the company itself /
the company has control over them – they can make changes
4) Threats –> O & T are external factors; they are connected to the local or
global market the company operates in / the company has no control over those
Internal factors ( S & W):
* size of operation
* net wealth
* marketing department
* management department
* HR department
External Factors ( O & T):
you can follow a PESTLE analysis to identify those –
* Political = nature of ruling party / government stability
* Economic = inflation, consumption rate, GDP, currency value, market share value, prices of materials & labour
* Social = cultures / knowledge & awareness
* Technology= availability of advanced or developing technology in the market
* Law: taxes and tariffs, trade laws, food & drugs regulations
* Environment = availability of natural resources
–> The information under each sub-section is organised in bullet-points.
C) Desired Outcome: 1 sentence stating the main goal that the company is striving to achieve. This goal could consist of one or more points. your ideas!
For example: increase their sales / join the global market and increase sales
D) 3 Action plans: suggest the company 3 different ways to achieve its set Goal your own ideas!
Each plan should have a nominalised title (NP)
Each plan can focus on one main area or have a combination of two areas (e.g. minimising costs to bring financial stability/ minimising costs and remarketing)
The 3 plans need to offer different courses of action
Each plan should have bullet points with clear strategies or actions that tell the company exactly what to do.
E) Evaluation of each action plan (each evaluation will have 2 paragraphs + a sentence)
Paragraph 1: advantages- the benefits the company would gain from following the plan
Paragraph 2: disadvantages/risks the company might face following the plan
Overall evaluation of likelihood of success (highly likely, unlikely, medium likelihood, etc).
Language: conditional sentences, modal verbs of possibility
F) Conclusion (1 paragraph)
Choose an optimum course of action – Which plan is best (i.e. has the greatest likelihood of being successful)
Justify your choice – Why it’s the best way to go
Further recommendations for the company