● Review CPE requirements in both Phase 1 and Phase 2.
● Pace your work by creating a CPE schedule table that includes:
o eleven deliverables required for the e-portfolio.
o anticipated completion date for each deliverable.
o estimated time (in hours and minutes) to complete each deliverable.
● Review the sample CPE Schedule Table posted in Course Tips.
● Investigate health issues in your county or state. To access your county or state data, you may use the following websites:
o County Health Rankings & Roadmaps. (n.d.) Explore health rankings (https://lrps.wgu.edu/provision/252854780).
o U.S. News & World Report. (n.d.) Healthiest communities (https://lrps.wgu.edu/provision/252855535).
● Using data and resources from the two websites above and/or other credible sources, complete the following:
o identify a health issue in your county or state.
o identify an “at risk” population in your county or state most affected by the health issue.
o identify the social factor or condition/social determinant of health (SDOH) that leads to, worsens, or complicates the health issue for the identified “at risk” population.
o recommend a policy change to address the identified SDOH.
Note: The above information is foundational to the AWM2 Performance Assessment. You may use the table below to organize your information, but completion of the table is NOT a required deliverable.
Health Issue in My County or State
“At Risk” Population Affected
Recommended Policy Change
● Review the “Answering the Call” (https://lrps.wgu.edu/provision/252563158) series presented by Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (Hofmeyer, 2020).
● Watch the recorded video titled “Advocacy Action Plan” located in Course Tips.
● After reviewing the above resources, create a brief summary (recommended length 200-300 words) of your advocacy action plan to address your identified SDOH.
● Review both the National League for Nursing (NLN), Advocacy & Public Policy (https://lrps.wgu.edu/provision/252562963) site (NLN, n.d.) and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Policy & Advocacy (https://lrps.wgu.edu/provision/252564113) site (AACN, n.d.).
● Review The Essential Guide to Writing SMART Goals (https://lrps.wgu.edu/provision/252856090).
● Create a goal in SMART format to guide the Advocacy Action Team (Eby, 2019).
o Each component of the SMART goal will be one (1) sentence in length.
o S (Specific)
o M (Measurable)
o A (Achievable)
o R (Realistic/Relevant)
o T (Timebound)
o The SMART goal will provide clear and unified direction for the Advocacy Action Team to move the policy forward toward adoption.
● To empower yourself as a health policy influencer it is important to effectively communicate with policymakers. Create a contact list of at least one policymaker for each of the following governmental levels. Include name, title, and contact information.
o Municipality (City Council Member, Mayor, Director of Public Works, Village President, etc.)
o County (e.g. County Commissioner, School Board President, Director of Public Health, etc.)
o State (e.g. Legislator, Governor, etc.)
● Write a brief reflection summary of your Phase 1 experience including:
o insights you gained from researching and planning policy advocacy.
o steps you might take to increase your involvement advocating for health policy change in your community.
● List and describe seven team-building strategies from course material to effectively form and lead your interprofessional policy advocacy team.
● Explain why each of the seven strategies is important in effective team building.
● Consider the expertise you will need on your Advocacy Action Team to achieve your SMART goal then:
o create a list of five key interprofessional stakeholders, by role or title (names not required), who will be valuable contributors to the Advocacy Action Team.
● Review your Advocacy Action Plan Summary in Phase 1, then:
o identify four agenda items for the first Advocacy Action Team meeting.
o describe why these items should be discussed in the first meeting.
● Write a brief reflection summary of your Phase 2 experience including:
o insights you gained in forming your Advocacy Action Team.
o steps you might take to enhance your skills in interprofessional team building.
National League for Nursing
American Nurse Today
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)